- Punching Underwater -
It's been a while since I've blogged about a hero, with the circumstances at hand with the hard rain and wind, I knew one was bound to appear and I was truly lucky enough to have found him. I first heard of this man as a huge promoter of the rising football scene in the motherland. I met him once in the National Sports Bar grill with Sir Ebong or better known as 'The Blue Haired Fan" of the Philippine Azkals (BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD BTW!!) as they were enjoying the game in the bar like we were. During my OJT in one of the government offices, I saw him there at the lobby's reception desk. Instead of approaching him, I was too caught in being awed by his presence, to a football loving person like me, he was just as famous as the guys on the field. However, what really caught my attention about him were his tweets from Tuesday evening. He tweeted about being in Payatas and helping out people and families who needed aid from the flood. I thought to myself "Wow, he must really love our nation." I saw pictures he tweeted and I ended up adding him on Facebook. Apparently, to my HUGE surprise, this brilliant man from Great Britain has been living in the country for the past 30 years running charities and children's homes for our Filipino youth and at the same time, promotes the beautiful game that is football. Reverend Craig Burrows has also been extremely active in helping our kababayans during Typhoon Ondoy and has not stopped since then. This man who loves this nation so much, does everything in his power to make sure we learn of love and compassion as he preaches it and put it to good use. At first, he was a mere football fan to me, now I see him as a role model. Being a new member of the corporate world next year, I may actually consider working this brilliant man who pretty much showed me that love knows no boundaries, even floods and typhoons. For now, I wish to acknowledge what he has done for our nation and our people. It's amazing that heroes really do come in times of need, and the Philippines is indeed the Land of Heroes. God bless you, Sir Craig Burrows, the spirit of 'bayanihan' is indeed alive in you.
PS:- You may wish to follow him on Twitter: @craigburrows

Leave a comment